Monday 8 September 2014

Kingston Babywearing Project -- Alicia & Agnes


I recently got together with this beautiful pair, Alicia and her daughter Agnes, for the Kingston Babywearing Project! The two accompanied me through City Park, which is a beautiful and bright oasis of trees and gardens right in the middle of downtown Kingston. The park is full of playgrounds, splash pads, beautiful historic statues and amazing festivals. It's definitely a staple place to visit every season in Kingston, and I was so happy to finally do a shoot there!







I spent a good portion of time researching the history of City Park and couldn't find too much -- the statue of John A. MacDonald, the first Prime Minister of Canada, was unveiled in 1895 so the park is at least 100 years old! This beautiful garden, called The Walk and run by Hospice Kingston, is filled with beautiful engraved stones that are memorials to lost loved ones.





Sweet baby Agnes was so tired by the time Alicia and I were done walking around and chatting, so mama stopped to nurse her under one of the biggest trees in the park. The pair looked perfect and oh-so comfortable nursing in the park.








What kind of wrap and sling are you using?
In the shoot, I am using a Girasol Northern Lights size 5 woven wrap and a Caribbean Sakura Bloom linen ring sling. 

Who/what introduced you to babywearing?
I was gifted a second-hand ring sling when I was pregnant with my first (over 6 years ago!). I didn't babywear a lot back then, really only when it was going to be too inconvenient to bring a stroller or if he was inconsolable at home and I really needed to get housework done. I used it a lot to breastfeed him while I made dinner or folded laundry.

What advice do you have for someone interested in babywearing?
The best advice I have for someone looking to get into babywearing is to get in touch with your local group! So many helpful mamas and the lending library is great when you're not sure what you want or just need help getting started. Don't give up because one carrier didn't work for you or your babe. There are SO many options!

When do you find babywearing most useful?
Right now with my (almost) three month old, I wear her almost constantly! It is especially helpful when she is fussy. Sometimes it takes extra effort to get her wrapped up when she is out if sorts, but it's definitely her happy place! She always calms right down. Being a second child as well, it definitely helps to be able to cuddle her and at the same time have my hands free to help my older child.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10 Code line 7 9 is for loa